Ask Morningstar: Liquid funds for your Emergency Fund

Nov 16, 2022
Himanshu Srivastava, associate director of manager research, answers a reader's query.

I am planning to build an Emergency Fund. I have decided to park 30% as cash and remaining 70% to liquid funds. I have selected Nippon India Liquid Fund and ICICI Prudential Liquid Plan. What are your views on these two funds?

I am not sure how to deploy the money. I have the amount that needs to be parked. Can I just deposit the lumpsum or must I do an SIP?

Most of the liquid funds have almost similar investment as well as return pattern. The major differentiating factor would be the expense ratio. Therefore, one can look at liquid funds from fund houses which have a strong fixed income investment team, and then select a fund which has low expense ratio. Lower expenses do make a meaningful difference in the returns over the long term. From this perspective, both Nippon India Liquid Fund and ICICI Prudential Liquid Plan makes the cut. You can consider diversifying your investment across both these funds.

Your decision to park 30% of your Emergency Fund in cash and 70% in liquid funds would depend on how much amount you would like to put aside as emergency fund, and are there any existing circumstances (for example ailing parents or someone else in the family with any medical condition), which needs to be accounted for. Prima-facie this looks like a wise approach though.

SIP has two major benefits. One, it brings in an element of discipline in investing, and two, it does away with the concept of timing the market, which is more apt in case of equity investing. SIP works well in case of equity funds. However, as far as investing in liquid funds are concerned, you can consider investing the lumpsum amount.


Should you do an SIP into a debt fund?

Can I invest my Emergency Fund in arbitrage?

4 things an Emergency Fund is not

Articles authored by Himanshu Srivastava

Fund research reports


Registered readers can post their queries by accessing the Ask Morningstar tab. Our team will answer SELECT queries relating to mutual funds, portfolio planning and personal finance. While we provide broad guidelines, we suggest you consult a financial adviser before making investment decisions.

Add a Comment
Please login or register to post a comment.
© Copyright 2024 Morningstar, Inc. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use    Privacy Policy
© Copyright 2024 Morningstar, Inc. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use above. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
As of December 1st, 2023, the ESG-related information, methodologies, tools, ratings, data and opinions contained or reflected herein are not directed to or intended for use or distribution to India-based clients or users and their distribution to Indian resident individuals or entities is not permitted, and Morningstar/Sustainalytics accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever for the actions of third parties in this respect.
Company: Morningstar India Private Limited; Regd. Office: 9th floor, Platinum Technopark, Plot No. 17/18, Sector 30A, Vashi, Navi Mumbai – 400705, Maharashtra, India; CIN: U72300MH2004PTC245103; Telephone No.: +91-22-61217100; Fax No.: +91-22-61217200; Contact: Morningstar India Help Desk (e-mail: in case of queries or grievances.